Google
 

Monday, October 13, 2008

What Happened on 7/10/2008--Nick Nostitz Reporting

You can read the first hand account of the PAD and police activities here and here.


Key quote:


The attack by police started at about 6.00 am. At the time I was in the area held by the People’s Alliance for Democracy (PAD). As soon as I saw the police forming for an attack I left that area and placed myself at the front of the police lines. I felt safer there because I knew that in order to disperse the protesters heavy force would be deployed.

Police had one of their loudspeaker lorries and first issued a warning that protesters should disperse as they would be attacked, and teargas would be fired. Police constantly mentioned that in this conflict nobody could possibly win, that they were all Thais, and should not fight each other.

The protesters did not disperse and soon after the attack started with a barrage of teargas grenades.


No comments: